Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Shatter Messiah Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We have been getting the new material ready for tour and making plans for a new album as well. With Kelly in the band we need to get him up to speed on all the old songs from the last three albums AND we are making plans to re-release “Hail the New Cross” with new mixes and re-master, as well as having Kelly play all the bass parts on that album!

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

The new record for me is really dark and sinister sounding. If you listen to the chord structures on the 1st three songs everything is descending and falling down musically. There is very little “up” in the songs structurally, till the very last song “Free” at the end of the album. And even then the music has an underlying feel or soul of un-explained despair. The subject matter is very dark and painful as well. Everyone knows or understands the ruthless devil of addiction, which is what makes us all “orphans of chaos”.

3.Since 2007 there has only been 3 full lengths, can you tell us a little bit more about the gaps in between releases?

The really big gap between “God Burns Like Flesh” and “Hail the New Cross” can be explained due to Shatter Messiah having to find a new label and negotiate a new deal and then submit the 3rd album and then wait for that album to get a release date and then wait to book any tours and shows. It was a long agonizing process, BUT we filled that time with writing and preparing new material for upcoming records!

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?

With the “Orphans of Chaos” I made the very serious decision to move away from the religious tinged lyrics. Even though the lyrics and words I used on the all three of the 1st records where not really about god per-se the lyrics where more about my personal take on issues and things I hate in the world and just twisted the subject matter to use powerful words like “god’ and “faith”. On “Orphans of Chaos” I wanted to address addiction, which has ruined more than a few lives on the earth, including family and friends of mine. Each guy in the band knows a loved one that has destroyed themselves with addiction, and that’s where I wanted to attack from on this record.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Shatter Messiah'?

Shatter Messiah is literally what I want to do for the myself. I want to destroy and unhinge the idea of gods and messiah’s, invisible men in the sky, or celebrity’s, or sports stars, these are all either make believe , or not hero’s like people think. We are all human and should all enjoy the talents and skills and happiness we can make for each other. But treating people like gods is poison for the soul. For the person being worshipped and the person doing the worshipping.

6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

We have had so many great shows it is hard to say which ‘one” show was the best. I think out very 1st show has to be one of my favorites, because when we came out I still didn’t know if the band would be any good live, or if people would like what we were doing. Thankfully we played great and people lost their minds for Shatter Messiah and I knew I was getting things on the right path for me and my music! Our stage performance is basically organized chaos with a dash of bizerk madness to boot! We all play our asses off and try to have as powerful and energetic of a live show as possible. We like to get people crazy with the music and the live show!

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?

We have been making plans for some Europe and South America touring as well as touring America. We will be releasing dates very soon!

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of power and thrash metal?

I think everyone really likes the new record, all of the reviews have been very very good 8’s, 9’s, and 10’s which is always a good feeling when you release a new piece of art!!!! Fans that I have sent advance copies to are blown away and some good press friends of mine are very positive about the record

9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?

Kelly is always a busy guy since he is such an incredible bass player. Mike has a couple of really good bands he plays in as does Pat. BOBS is playing in Ramallah and I am mixing for them the songs they are recording right now. As for me I have my recording studio my instrumental band Custom Audio Mutation, and also my power metal band Sunless Sky I play in.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

We have about 6-8 records written so it is hard to say exactly, BOBS always picks the music for the records since I am terrible at that, He has the 5th record already organized form the demo’s I have sent him over the years

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Always the classic big four of course. But there is some amazing new music out there from Prong, Revocation, Chon, Thrice, and Destiny Potatoe

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Building tube guitar amps, building guitar pedals, building guitars, building recording equipment, recording bands and running my recording studio, oh wait this is all music stuff! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH It is what I live and breathe my friend!!

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the interview, I hope everyone that buys the record loves it and we will see you out on tour as soon as possible!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment