Saturday, January 3, 2015

Benn Bilinski Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your solo project?

My name is Benn Bilinski and I individually compose instrumental metal music.  My style of metal combines different elements like ambient, progressive, and black metal.


2.So far you have released 2 albums, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?

My first release has an atmospheric, powerful sound that helped lay the foundation for Red Valley, which contains more notes in each piece and has a tighter, cleaner, and more aggressive sound.


3.So far all of your music has been instrumental, are you planning on using vocals in the future or do you prefer the instrumental route?

For me, the vocals with metal are like another instrument, and add a lot of depth to the sound overall.  If I were to inject vocals into the music it would be experimental and I would try to make it fit as best as I could.  


4.What are some of the themes and images you bring out with your musical sound?

The albums themes and imagery can be related to suffering and violence, but I also try to contrast it with colors of consolation, power, and freeform.


5.On the albums you record everything by yourself, are you planning on working with other musicians in the future?

I’m always open to new ideas and trying to find different ways to expand my music.  So working with other musicians in the future is a possibility.


6.On the page you said you are working on a new album that you have plans to tour with, what kind of tour are you planning on doing?

I am working on a new album that is influenced by other metal bands performing live. The new album’s style of metal is rarely ever played and I would like to travel to different locations to see if any one digs it.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I am currently looking for record label opportunities.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal?

I have received a lot of great feedback through band camp, which is where I have been posting my music for the past couple of years.  And metal fans from all over the world are on there so it’s really cool.


9.What musical direction do you see yourself heading into during the future?

I definitely like the ambient/ progressive/black elements in metal and my goal is to make a really strong cohesive sound that blends these different characteristics into a well-structured album.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Some of the influences for me are Death, The Faceless, Necrophagist, Gojira, and most Black Metal in general.  I also listen to a lot of amazing Jazz/Fusion players like Shawn Lang, and Alan Holdsworth.  And right now I’m cranking some Besatt – Demonicon.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I snowboard, hike, ride bikes, basically try to find ways to stay active outdoors.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview and also to anyone else that has listened to my music.

No comments:

Post a Comment