1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
"I started this project in June 2006 we're in 2013 & "Temporary Enlightenment" is out now ! The goal with fragment. was to learn & manage to produce my music by myself & after 7 years of hard work i think i'm starting to reach this goal."
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
"fragment. musical sound is stuck between the sky & the ground, that's what i'm trying to do with... a "sweet massiveness"."
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
"I tried to catch & translate moments & experiences of daily life. There is no concept, it works like instantaneous pictures, exploring every side of human feelings, for example 'cold monsters' talks about feeling like an ant surrounded with buildings: these 'cold monsters made of steel and glasse' cities can be frightening sometimes, or 'shield', 'just for today' & 'from this moment' are about being a father. fragment.'s lyrics just talk about life, there is no original concept in it.”
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
"I like the idea of that tiny piece or part working for a 'humanly' unconceivable whole, besides, the word sounds good to me as well in French as in English."
5. Currently there is only one member in the band are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
"It will definitely remain a solo project..."
6. The new album came out on OPN Records. how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support they have given you so far?
"I contacted them 3-4 years ago for the 'Home' EP & they decided to release it, which came out in 2011. We then started to build an understanding partnership, they proposed a fair deal to me & they worked hard to get the best result.”
“It's a small structure, smaller than an independant label & they seem to be the only ones willing to work with an unbankable project, so i wish we'll work together again..."
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your album by fans of music?
"Well, honestly I don't know, maybe it's a bit too soon to talk about a 'worldwide feedback', but the first ones are positive."
8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this full time?
"Right now i'm working on a new project called FINSTERNIS with Xavier Theret (vocals) from NEIGE MORTE band & ex-OVERMARS band member. I'm very excited about this project; a 50 minute EP has been recorded and there now remains the lyrics to be written then the vocals to be recorded. It's going to be cool !"
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
"Actually i really don't know... Maybe to more electronic / shoegaze sounds, because i've just finished alternative versions of 'Temporary Enlightenment' which are taking a more electronic direction..."
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
"The fragment. project was born of the idea of mixing my two initial influences: GODFLESH & LOW, though i like loads of various styles like TERRA TENEBROSA, UNISON, ROLLINS BAND, FEVER RAY, FEAR FALLS BURNING, CULT OF OCCULT, TRICKY, BLUT AUS NORD, SIGUR ROS, LEVIATHAN, MY BLOODY VALENTINE... to name only a few"
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
"My wife & kids & close friends, mainly."
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
"Thanks you very much John for the interest & support you've shown to fragment."